Truckload rates are skyrocketing and capacity is tightening. In typical supply and demand fashion, as demand rises – so will costs. LTL carriers are leveraging market conditions and benefiting from TL carriers rejecting lighter loads. What does this mean for businesses who ship less frequently or have smaller volumes? Considering all factors, shippers may see rate increases of 5% or more throughout 2018. Larger businesses may be able to absorb or pass off these costs. Can you?
Many 3PLs such as AFS offer tailored programs to small business shippers or even large companies who ship less frequently. A 3PL has a network of carriers with negotiated best-in-class prices to offer their clients. For example, AFS collaborates with a variety of carriers and shipping volumes, providing various options and discounts that are passed on to the shipper.
Even if you’re not shipping frequently or at large volumes, there are ways to lower your shipping costs. Ask yourself these questions:
- Are you selecting the right service or are guaranteed delivery times causing unnecessary extra costs?
- Should you match delivery requirements and fees for cost charge-backs?
- Do you know the cost of a bad address? How do you perform address validation?
- Are you using a postage meter to determine the exact weight of your shipments? Are you using the lightest packing material?
- Are you using the minimum amount of space or do you need to consider packaging optimization?
- Do you have the right technology to track both inbound and outbound shipments?
- Are you securing refunds from overcharges?
- Have you considered alternative shipping modes?
A 3PL is much more than transactional, one-and-done shipments. We are able to provide collaboration to ensure cost management and optimal execution in your shipping operations. Strategic partnerships and technology provide small businesses and small volume shippers a balance of price, service and profitability. Just as you trust your building maintenance, taxes and legal counsel to an expert, trust AFS as your shipping expert.